Acne, bumps, uneven and textured skin weighing your look down? Here are 4 tested ways to get clear skin like a glass!
With age, women’s bodies undergo several chemical and hormonal changes. Physical factors like dirt, pollution, and UV rays can adversely impact the health of your skin and hair. In women, perimenopause and menopause can also contribute to an overall loss of skin smoothness and cause textured skin. Sigh! All these reasons conspire to cause textured skin, bumps, acne, and uneven skin tone. And, our dreams of getting a clear skin go for a toss!
Before getting down to ways to get our skin luster back, HealthShots spoke to Dr Monica Kapoor, a celebrity cosmetologist and Director at FLAWLESS Cosmetic Clinics, to tell us about why our skin feels bumpy and textured.
Dr Kapoor list following causes of textured skin:
- The buildup of dead and keratinized skin cells and irritation also take a toll on the skin’s texture and appearance.
- Those people who have a history of acne can get little bumps under their skin, that of scarring acne will get atrophic scars, excess oil producers will have enlarged pores and those who pick at their zits can get papular scars.
- Dry or coarse feeling skin, patchiness, fine lines and wrinkles, enlarged open pores and scars are left behind post acne. And it causes textured skin conditions.
- Excessive build-up of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, genetics, sun damage and pollution, and a poor skincare routine and diet are some other common causes of an uneven skin texture.
Here’s how to get rid of bumpy and textured skin for a clear skin appearance:
1. Make friends with AHA’s and BHA’s
Opt for skincare acids like AHAs and BHAs. Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Beta Hydroxy Acid are two hydroxy acids popularly found in various skincare products like cleansers, moisturizers, peels and exfoliating products. These are very good for ideal skin texture and promote clear skin.
2. Don’t be late to exfoliate
We can’t talk about clear and smooth skin without mentioning exfoliation. Whether using a physical exfoliator, such as crushed walnut or gentle jojoba beads or a chemical exfoliator like glycolic or lactic acid. Exfoliation will slough away dead skin cells that dull skin and clog pores and give a glass like texture.
3. Buddy up with cleanser and moisturizer and sunscreen
Keep your skin hydrated with a moisturizer that is made for your skin type. Dr Kapoor suggests sunburn or sun damage is one of the most common reasons for uneven skin texture. Keep your skin protected with a broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen and try to cover up as much as you can when you step out in the sun. Don’t forget, protected skin makes way for a clear skin!
4. Peel it off
Chemical peels are a very popular treatment to get rid of textured and uneven skin condition. Switch up your regular facial at a salon with a fruit acid peel in-clinic and let a professional handle that pesky dry skin buildup. Chemical peels give you instant results and reveal fresh and glowing skin from within.
If any natural methods don’t suit your skin then opt for a balanced mix of in-clinic treatments that can show more pronounced results and complement it with a good at-home skincare routine. All these steps will give you a clear skin in no time!