Do you like cooking? Are you fond of eating Chinese cuisine? If so, then adding dan dan sauce to your kitchen is a feasible option to attain the typical flavors of Chinese food. Dan dan sauce is a beloved sauce in traditional Chinese cuisine. This sauce is known for its spicy, savory, and slightly sweet flavor. It is a clean and healthy sauce that is prepared with organic expeller pressed oil and high-quality ingredients with no preservatives, binders, or emulsifiers. It is prepared conveniently as it requires no additional preparations or cooking. Besides, in a matter of minutes, it can turn any ingredient or mixture of ingredients into a flavorful dish. This versatile sauce can be used in various cuisines to provide the flavor of traditional Chinese food, including noodles, pasta, meat, dumplings, buns, vegetables, and everything else.
History of Dan Dan Sauce:
Dan dan sauce comes from the Sichuan province of China, which is particularly known for its spicy cooking. The name of the sauce came from the bamboo pole or ‘dan dan” which street vendors used to deliver the sauce and noodles on their shoulders. In Sichuan, dan dan noodles were a popular street food and the sauce was made traditionally with Sichuan peppercorn, chili oil, preserved vegetables, and minced pork.
The different versions of the sauce emerged over time. Some recipes excluded vegetables and meat, while others added ingredients like vinegar, sesame paste, or soy sauce. Presently, dan dan sauce and dan dan noodles are a staple in Chinese cuisine and are relished all over China and globally. Let’s now go through the Chinese recipes that can be made using dan dan sauce.
Traditional Chinese Food Complimenting Dan Dan Sauce:
1. Chinese Eggplant With Dan Dan Sauce
You can prepare a bowl of delicious and flavorful Chinese eggplant by combining the dan dan sauce, the ingredients needed are:
- 2 Chinese/Japanese eggplants
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Chinese dan dan sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 small diced carrot
- ½ small diced onion
- 2 stalks of small diced celery
- Small dice Thai chilies
Instructions To Cook
- Marinate the eggplant by sprinkling a generous amount of salt and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Cut and prep all the ingredients in the meantime, and saute carrots and onions till the onions turn translucent and remove from the heat to use later.
- Rinse the salt off the eggplant and squeeze them to remove moisture
- In a pan or wok saute eggplants on both sides and add onion and carrot back along with diced celery and minced garlic, on medium heat stir them to fry.
- Add 2 tbsp of dan dan sauce or according to your taste.
- Add salt to taste. Remove from heat and it’s ready to serve.
2. Dan Dan Noodles
Creating a super legit bowl of dan dan noodles can be easier with dan dan noodles sauce, traditionally medium-sized wheat noodles are used for dan dan noodles. Otherwise, people also love using rice noodles, flat noodles, and even pasta with the dan dan sauce.
- Peanuts (crushed)
- Dan dan sauce
Instructions To Cook:
- To make dan dan noodles, cook the noodles to the crispness you like.
- While cooking you can add minced clove or garlic depending on your taste.
- Stir the dan dan sauce in the jar really well so that the components are mixed together.
- Remove and strain the noodles from the boiling water and place it in a bowl.
- Add the minced garlic and add spoonfuls of dan dan sauce to the noodles and mix them until the noodles get well-coated.
- Then add the toppings – cilantro, scallion, and crushed peanuts. You can also add leafy greens, meat, or plant-based proteins.
- And your dan dan noodles are ready to be served.
Dan dan sauce is a versatile sauce that compliments a vast variety of traditional Chinese food. It is a favorite among spice lovers due to its spicy and savory flavor profile. You can also add a unique dimension to your food with its nutty creaminess. It is a must-try condiment that adds exciting flavors to Chinese food.